Tuesday, April 21, 2009

I think Davis is "that" kid . . .


You know the cliche kid in the movies or cartoons that always has a frog or a lizard in his pocket (think Old Yeller) . . . I think Davis is "that" kid.  He has always liked finding any kind of creature and lately he wants to KEEP everything he finds.  Just so far this week he has asked to keep a grasshopper, some kind of beetle looking bug,  and a handful of snails.  I wasn't a blogger back in 2006, but when Davis was just barely walking at about 14 months he was chasing a lizard in our driveway and it scurried under my car.  He started to crawl under the car and I thought "go ahead buddy - you will probably just get stuck under there - that lizard is long gone".  You can imagine how SHOCKED I was when he came out from under the car with the lizard in his hand.  Anyway - that is just Davis.  
So Sunday night is when he found the snails in the flower bed at church.  I told him to put them down and didn't think twice about it.  I found out today (Tuesday!) that the snails were still in our company.  I don't know where he has had them stashed for the last two days, but here they are.  So I had him put them in a cup with some wet dirt thinking that after two some where other than dirt they were probably dead in their shells anyway.  Tonight after cleaning the kitchen I noticed that they were all alive and clinging to the outside of the paper cup eating it . . .ugh . . . slimey  . . feelers out . . yuck!!!  It is just too much for me.  Thankfully I had the good sense to put the whole cup in a ziploc earlier so they are contained - but still grossing me out.  My crazy little boy would be heartbroken if I got rid of them in the middle of the night, so I guess they will stay at least until morning.  Then I will try to convince him that it is a good idea to release them to the wild. 

8 comments:

Amy said...

That's hilarious! Now all you need to do is let him play in mud - that way he can find lots of earthworms and have some new buddies! :)

Theresa said...

Sorry, I think it is very cute! ;) It's just so BOY! What can you do?

Mandy Kershaw said...

Oh, James is that kid too... and so was I as a kid, so I gave into keeping our snails from our recent trip to CA. We keep them in a plastic critter keeper container. If you decide to keep them, let me know and I'll give you the run down on how to care for them. If you decide to let them go, do it at a park so they don't eat up your landscaping. Did I mention that James is getting a tortoise and also received a tadpole habitat for his birthday? yeah... he's that kid and we're going to be that family with all the strange pets.

AprilJ said...

So cute!! I can't believe they are still alive either... Mark and I used to collect rollie pollie bugs in tennis ball cans as kids.. I, for one, couldn't figure out why they all died after a day..in the scorching heat..in a metal tennis ball can. Go figure.

Jason and Lisa said...

Too funny! Boys, gotta love them. :0

Cristina said...

Too funny. Gabriel likes stuff like that but not prone to keep it. Yuck! I hated bugs as a kid and my classmates used to drop them in my pencil case...

The Martins said...

He shared his bike with Isaiah at the park and Isaiah didn't even ask him for it. And he did it cheerfully. He's also that kid :)

(And I'd like to add- Michael gave him his helmet- also without being asked. I love these guys!)

suubi said...

That is so funny, Davis is a funny little guy! Oh, and by the way.....Thank you for the "good mommy" comments a couple of posts back on my blog. Its funny b/c I don't really think about it but when someone tells you that you are a good mom, its always nice to hear! So, Michelle...you are great mommy and good job raising such sweet little boys!