Tuesday, February 3, 2009

And the award goes to . . . .

Yes, if they were presenting an award today for mom of the year, I would be a serious contender.  I would like to present a defense that Grayson was up crying almost every hour last night so I feel like I am in a fog - but that is really no excuse for this day.  It was simply rough in general to start because of the night.  Just before ten this morning, I had to take Davis downstairs for an ongoing discipline issue (fun, fun).  As I was coming up the stairs, I hear Grayson screaming only 15 minutes into his nap . . . FANTASTIC.  The award winning moment however is Parker running out of the guest room, frantically scrapping his tongue, yelling "that pop is yucky mommy!".  I took one look in Grayson's room and knew that he had gone in after the crying baby and had taken the rubbing alcohol off the changing table.  He had opened it and drank some in the guest room.  The back of the bottle says "If swallowed, seek medical attention immediately, death or serious injury could occur".  Obviously the next part of this story is my first ever, crying phone call to poison control.  The lady kindly reassured me that a child his age will not typically ingest enough rubbing alcohol to cause a problem because it tastes so bad.  She told me to brush his teeth, give him lots of fluids and watch him to make sure he didn't get nauseous or overly tired.  Good news - he appears to be "okay".  Of course, not even two rough hours later, Parker took a fall directly on his head.  He didn't break his fall on anything other than his noggin.  He has a huge goose egg and it has "aggregate burn" type cuts in the bump from the rocks.  (the picture does not do it any justice).  This poor kid!  Did I mention we are taking family pictures with my extended family next week :)  As I type everyone is sleeping.  Hopefully Daddy will be home soon and we can give this day a restart.  

9 comments:

AprilJ said...

Poor Parker (poor mommy)!! I was practically on a first-name basis with poison control in TX. Clay would put just about anythin in his mouth. I haven't had to call up here (yet).. I look forward to that new relationship :) Glad he's OK...

Jason and Lisa said...

I'm sorry you are having a rough day. I am so glad Parker is okay. Hopefully, the rest of the day is better.

Heidi Marie said...

Okay you do deserve a Mommy award. Having to endure a night, and day, like the one you are having? I am always amazed at how you can gracefully raise three boys...

Mandy Kershaw said...

Oh my! What a day! Chaos always ensues during a correction too. :) Some day you'll look back on your family portrait with Parker's bruise and laugh. Or at least you'll remember how good God is to protect Parker from disaster and give you the grace and strength to deal with it and live to blog about it. Hope you have relaxing evening!

Brooke said...

I'm pretty sure that the Mommy Awards are only for good things. Thanks for sharing, it's good to know that everyone has those days! Praying for you! And in the word's of Anne of Green Gables: "Tomorrow is always fresh with no mistakes in it" :)

Jen said...

Oh Michelle, I'm so sorry you're having a crazy day...but yes, praise God Parker is ok (from the rubbing alcohol and the fall -apart from the bump/scratch). ...and praise God Mark gets home at 4pm, what a blessing that is especially on days like this!

Amy said...

Yes, Poor Parker and poor mommy. I don't know what it is about those kinds of days but it just seems to go from one injury/incident to another. Ugh! I'm just glad Parker didn't get creative and try to feed it to baby G!

Anonymous said...

What a day...wow. I know those days will be in my future. I just bathed Hugh and explained to him that eating some soap never hurt anybody...so, eat away. Glad to hear Parker is okay...he was in our prayers tonight.

Theresa said...

I hope you and Parker had a better day today! Have you ever sent one of your boys to church with frosting for dinner? Not life-threatening by any means, but that's been my most recent "m-o-t-y" award to myself and I'm sure there will be MANY more! One day we will look back and laugh A LOT at the craziness of raising boys!