Sunday, June 8, 2008

Let It Penetrate His Heart



I know for many little kids reading God's Word is something they naturally enjoy because they get to do it with their parents and they observe their parents enjoy it as well. For Davis, this has been a long time prayer (and if I am not careful, a slippery slope for fear in me) because he did not "naturally" or readily embrace even reading a children's Bible story. In the last year, I have watched God progressively change this in Davis and it is probably one of the most significant answers to prayer that I have ever personally experienced. It has been a process for him but he has begun to really embrace reading together and has also memorized several verses over the last couple of months. In the last week or so we changed the time we read/pray/sing together to first thing in the morning to include Parker. In this time, I feel like I have watched God continue to work in Davis' life in this area. We have been reading Psalm 19 and memorizing Ps 19:14 "Let the words of my mouth and the meditations of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer". I have watched him start to really digest what he is saying, asking almost everyday to talk about what "Redeemer" means. Not only is God hiding his Word in his heart, I feel like I have seen it actually produce a change in him this week. His words, particularly to his Dad and his brother, have been remarkably sweeter, more encouraging, and more patient. Mark even commented on the differnce on Saturday after spending some time alone with Davis and Mark didn't even know what we had been reading over the past couple of days. I don't know that Davis is making a direct correlation between the verse and his decisions, but it seems to definitely be penetrating to the point of just making an all over change. I don't know that I can even express how thankful this makes me. I am confident that we are called to pray for others in this way so that when God does work, He is even more glorified by our thankfulness for His answer and His goodness to us.

2 comments:

Ben and Melissa James said...

Hey Michelle!
Welcome to the blogger world!

The Martins said...

Again, what a sweet post. Thanks- that is an encouragement to me, too, and I'm sure it is an encouragement to you.
-Sarah