Tuesday, May 26, 2009

R.I.P Nuk 1/28/05 - 5/25/09

I hesitated to even blog this because it is only a very small circle of people that still knew Davis used his pacifier "nuk".  Davis has always LOVED his nuk.  He would have been a thumb sucker for sure but when he was little I would hold that thing in his mouth and keep sticking it back in so that he would take that and not his thumb.  Little did I know how attached he would become to the thing.  When he turned three, he was only allowed to have it in his bedroom, thus naps and bedtimes, but he was still very attached to his special friend.  It never really bothered me and I felt like I had control over when he could and could not use it so taking it away has never been of great urgency.  Yesterday, while playing with him by ourselves, he simply said "mommy, when I go to bed tonight I don't think I'm going to use my nuk."  I was shocked but encouraged him and thought I would just wait and see how it played out.  Sure enough, after a second of wanting to regress, he decided to go to bed without it.  He didn't use it tonight either.  I never in a million years would have imagined that it would happen like this but apparently that is exactly the same way his father gave up sucking his thumb (granted he was seven:)  When I decided to swallow my pride of others' judgements and blog about this I started looking through pictures and decided to do a closing tribute to the nuk.  It definitely had a long run!  I have to admit (and I can feel my sister giving me the eyes) but looking at the pictures made me a little sad.  It is definitely the end of an era for him and it was one thing about him that still made him seem like my little baby boy - when I would see him all snuggled in his bed with that pacifier.  Okay - that's crazy I know.  As you will notice in the photo tribute below - I am one down, one to go.  Parker is still holding strong and loves that thing more than ever!  

Davis at two months old - already best buds
At ten months old he really never was without - bed time or play time
His first birthday (Jan 2006)

One of my favorite "nuk" pictures - he would walk around the house like this sometimes - that is his pillow case draped on his head - cracks me up (Feb 2007)
Brothers and some double nuk love :)
After January 2008 I don't have tons of pictures of him with his nuk b/c it wasn't supposed to come out of his room.  Of course with Grayson in August 08 notice he is holding TWO and below in December of 08 he is getting ready for bed

8 comments:

Melissa said...

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for him, what a big boy. It is definitely an end to a long era.
To make you feel better my boys still drink warm milk, and I don't care. My five year old takes his milk warm.
We all have our things.

AprilJ said...

Congrats to Davis (he actually told me this on the phone this morning when he was at my mom's)!!! I can beat Melissa because Kara is 6 and still drinks warmed milk in a sippy cup. Mother of the year is mine, all mine.

Amy said...

No judging here, these are battles we all have to choose to fight in our own time and thank goodness you didn't have a battle! Yay Davis!!! On another note, Trey has observed some kids sucking their thumbs (and even asked why they do) including Jake and has picked it up. At 4 1/2....WHAT?????

Theresa said...

Wow! That's awesome, and I am so glad for you that he did it on his own! yes, it does show how BIG they're all getting! :(

Anonymous said...

Good for Davis...big news. Hey, no judging here...you do what works for you. We all knew he wouldn't go to school with it!

Jason and Lisa said...

That's great that it went so well and there wasn't a battle.

So, you are telling me 7 (or older) will be when Grant stops sucking his thumb?!? I guess we'll see.

Amy, I have a friend whose daughter picked up thumb sucking at that age too. It was short lived though because of other kids seeing her doing it.

Heidi Marie said...

Such cute pictures of Davis! And hey we are a family that loves our pacifier. Cute post Michelle...

Mandy Kershaw said...

Wow, such a big boy decision. That must've been bittersweet. Apparently Jeff made that same decision to stop sucking his thumb, but he has Mark beat... he was at least 8. I think Miriam will beat that record as well. :)

When I saw "RIP" in the title, I immediately thought it was going to be about the snails. Are they still kickin' it?