Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Thanksgiving






Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. It is basically Christmas-type celebration without the distraction of shopping, gifts, and other related chaos. I guess that might be slightly exaggerated because I am still currently recovering from Christmas hectic-ness. We were able to split and do Thanksgiving lunch with my Nothum fam and then pack in a second meal with the Boyd family at Buzz and Billie's house. There really is nothing I don't like about this meal - might be my all time favorite - but I love the 'tradition' of the meal and the time we get to spend with family. I love that my kids remember it now and anticipate those traditions. All time fave for the kids this year was sweet rice. I think they asked all week "How many more days until we get to eat sweet rice for Thanksgiving?" :) love it! Davis also like the sweet potatoes and Turkey but nothing beats the rice. One of the best parts of the tradition for me is helping my Gram prepare the food and get the turkeys in the oven early (4:30 am) on T-day morning. I've been doing this with her for almost ten years and I love that morning. She always gives the same instructions and makes me look up cooking times in her old, old, old cook book instead of trusting the published times in the paper (adjusted, I'm sure, for current ovens and cookware). Since there is always several HOURS difference - I write out the check times based on the newspaper and she thinks it comes from the cookbook :) I know that Thanksgiving won't always be at her house - but I have spend every one of my thirty Thanksgivings at that house and it wouldn't be the same anywhere else.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Back to blogging - woot, woot! Great pics and great traditions! Glad they love the sweet rice :)!