Saturday, January 30, 2010

Happy Birthday Davis

I think I say this every year, but Davis' birthday is a particularly special holiday to me too because it the anniversary of the day God made me a mom and the memory of that will always be so overwhelmingly special to me. But . . on to the other thing we celebrate on January 28th, our precious, oldest son! I keep this blog because trying to come up with memories of the entire last year would be next to impossible for me. These are the things that stand out in my mind about this year. We started an at-home preschool program with Davis and it has been my privilege to watch him grow in the learning process. I was just telling my mom that when Anne Stirber introduced me to "phonemic awareness" stuff it seemed like Davis had no idea what we were doing and now he is breaking apart words/putting together words himself and has recently started sounding out words in books by himself (just in the last couple days). So cool to watch their minds grow and learn new things! Davis has also initiated a lot of very cool conversations in the last couple of weeks about spiritual things and I am always grateful for the chance to tell him what I know is true and trust God to hide it in his heart. He is really interested in understanding the differences in God's Word when it talks about God the Father, Jesus and the Holy Spirit. He has also talked a lot about "the children of God", making that connection from what he learned about Israelites in BSF last year to understanding who are "God's people" now. He has finished such conversations, on many occasions, saying that he loves God and wants to be his child too. We pray everyday that God would do that work in his heart. While some things has grown and changed, some things only stay the same :) This kid LOVES tools, any tool or anything he can make into a tool. A couple months ago Mark let him help him hammer and staple gun four stakes together to make a square that Davis then turned into a doorframe and added a piece of cardboard to make a door. His mind his very methodical but he can also be very creative. I would say his other favorite activity, hands down, is digging a hole. Our side yard is a dangerous place to walk in the dark! He is a great big brother. If someone asks him if he wants to do something - he always mentions that his brothers should get to come along too. I think he really sees he and them as a package deal and I love to watch that relationship develop between the brothers. While he can be very "firstborn" about 'directing' them (I have a lot of compassion for this quality in him:) I know that he often does it with good intention. He really loves his brothers and cares for them in a sweet way. I love this kid SO much I don't even have words. He is a joy of my life and I am so thankful for him. My boy loves me back and I am glad for that. He told me on his birthday, "I'm five but I'll never stop being your baby boy". Makes me cry just to type it. Okay, I'm done :) Happy Birthday Davis! Mommy and Daddy love you so much.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday D! Very sweet!

AprilJ said...

I hope he still has a little bit of party left in him... we'll see him in mere days.