Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Davis Today

I hesitated to post this story, but it has already been a couple of hours and I can't stop thinking about it so I decided I would journal it in the HOPE that very, very soon I can look back on this and see how much God has changed my son's heart.  This is set in the context of a particularly hard day.  Davis has a very strong will and we have had many conversations about sin, how serious sin is and our need for a Savior today.  At the moment, though, we were just sitting eating lunch together.  

Davis:  Mommy, I got on the scale yesterday and Daddy says I am getting VERY big so I just won't sin anymore because I am big.  
Me:  No matter how big you get you can never stop sinning all by yourself.
Davis:  Yes I can, if I say I can, then I can.  I just won't do it . . . all by myself.
Me:  Mommy is big and I still sin everyday.
Davis:  Then just stop it then.

We stopped eating and I proceeded to give him all the reasons that we can't become sinless on our own ("all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God" / "it is by grace you have been saved . . this is not of yourselves").  As I am talking and talking and talking and talking I realize all of a sudden that I am literally trying to CONVINCE Davis of the Biblical truth I know to be true.  I was so convicted that I hadn't stopped to just pray that God would give him understanding - which would be the only way for him to embrace the severity of sin and his need of a Savior.  Obviously I did and continue to do just that.  It is amazing to watch the sinful nature of man through my kid.  It breaks my heart (literally breaks my heart) to watch him struggle under the power of sin in his life and I beg God everyday to free him from that and give him the ability to live unto Him.  I trust that God graciously allows us to have these kinds of conversations so that He can hide His Word in Davis' heart and grow him in understanding.

3 comments:

Amy said...

I have had similar conversations with Trey and he also thinks that being "big like daddy" equals no sin.

Theresa said...

I hear you on this one. It's heart-breaking at times to see their sin! What a reminder we have with our little ones that God has to be the one to draw them to Himself!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness, I think I had the exact same conversation with Evi the other day and did the same thing. I tried with all my effort to convince her of the gospel. I left the conversation feeling discouraged and then I realized that really what I needed to do was to pray. Thanks for sharing that!