Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Davis' Super Special, Very Fun Day


There is no way that this could be a short post, so I am just going to let it be as long as it needs to be to get it all in there.  Davis turned four-years-old today and for some reason it was making me feel somewhat "nostalgically sad" - but in a good way (I think).  I can't remember what life was like without kids but the feeling of holding my first born little boy does not seem that long ago (particularly since it is something that is still a vivid memory and my memory is horrible).  I don't know if I will ever forget that day - the day you become a mom for the rest of your life is pretty memorable.  I don't think I have the words.  
As for my boy, Davis is probably four going on fourteen, but he is still little in my mind.  He still likes to be held and cuddled - this doesn't take much persuasion.  He is a fast learner and pretty coordinated - some of the things he can master quickly amaze me.  If you have never seen him drive his Jeep, it really is a sight to see.  That kid drives that Jeep better than I drive my SUV and I am not exaggerating.  It took him no time at all to figure out how to do a three point turn to get to where he wants to go and he parks it in a tight spot in the garage with great precision.  My father-in-law made him an actual hitch to attach to a play car at their house.  He hooks a wagon to the hitch and calls it his trailer.  (As a side note, he LOVES to haul stuff around, in boxes, wagons, on flat-bed trucks, whatever).  Anyway, he can back up that car with the trailer attached and maneuver it the way you would have to if you had a trailer on your pick-up.  Maybe good driving is genetic and if so, be SURE it is not from me.  
He is very strong-willed, which can be challenging, but that same God-given character that can challenge me (some days beyond what I would think I can handle) also expresses itself in diligence, loyalty and wanting to do things in an excellent way.  I know that when God harnesses all of that will, He can use that in Davis to do great things through him.  
On the way home tonight he said, "when I am big I want to be a worker, cowboy, music man".  That is pretty much Davis in a nut shell.  He LOVES all things tools - he is almost never anywhere without them.  He is into "cowboy-esk" stuff= tractors, horses, horse trailers, and after tonight at Rawhide, his cap gun.  Any he loves music.  He actually has the sweetest, most in-tune voice for little boy and he loves anything he can make into an instrument.  
He is a great brother.  He is definitely a leader (by nature probably) but he can be very tender and sweet about it - particularly to Parker right now.  God continues to answer specific prayers that I have prayed for Davis, particularly growing in him a love for God's Word and a desire to read and know it.  He has been asking for a Bible for months - not the storybook kind that he already had, but a full Bible.  We gave him a Children's NIV tonight for his gift and he loves it.  He wants to underline the couple of verses that he knows and some of the ones he hears regularly around here so that he can see them in his Bible.  He makes me laugh everyday and he tells me all the time how much he loves me.  I don't know if there is anything better on earth.  Happy Birthday Buddy - we love you so much.
Davis had a VERY full day today and I think he thought he was a rockstar.  The day started with lots of phone calls from family and by 9 am when I would hand him the phone he would sigh (dramatically of course) and say "Ooooh, ALL of these people keep calling, calling, calling me!"  I couldn't figure out how to add the pictures and make them fall below this text so I am just going to separately post pictures from his VERY BUSY day.

4 comments:

Heidi Marie said...

Happy Birthday sweet boy! Davis you have captured my heart as well!

Theresa said...

These birthday posts always bring tears to my eyes as you reflect on our kids being one of God's many gifts. Love that boy!

Anonymous said...

That was very sweet. I cannot believe it has been four years. I also cannot believe Mark has three boys!

Littell Family said...

So very sweet!! I can't believe it has been four years already...you have raised such an amazing little man!