Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Davis

I hesitate to put this on the www because I can't control how it is read but I really want this documented in our family journal so I hope that my tone and context isn't lost. I want to cushion this story in the reality that this has been a particularly hard week with Davis. I know it goes in phases with the whole child rearing process but what happened tonight made me so grateful. God reminded me that lots of opportunities for discipline also means LOTS of opportunities to tell your kids the gospel over and over again. (Consequently Davis has heard the gospel ALOT the last couple of days) It should also be said that Davis very rarely chooses to pray. We have chosen not to "require" our kids to pray with us or before meals because we want it to flow from a personal desire not obligation (just our choice). Anyways, he doesn't very often ask to pray. Parker on the other hand is eager, eager to pray before meals - another story for another time - but it is very sweet too. Tonight the boys were having a snack at the table before bed. Parker asked to pray (he prays for ALL food consumed - very thankful little boy - good reminder for me!) He prayed and I started to walk away from the table and let them eat their snack. Davis said, "Wait, can I pray too?". So he prays:
"Jesus, will you please change my heart. Will you please help me to obey my mom. I want to obey You. Please make my heart obey. I love you Jesus. Amen". I'm still a little shocked as a type this that his heart was so soft tonight AND that he chose to pray that out loud. Not sure what God is doing in his heart exactly but I know that God in His grace GREATLY encouraged me that He alone is in control of my boys and their hearts and that in His time he will reveal truth to them and that I need to just continue to be obedient and tell them the good news of Jesus. This is huge for Davis. He is not easily swayed into praying and praying something like that for that matter. Thank you, thank you Jesus. Please, please give him a heart that love You very much!

2 comments:

Jen said...

WOW, that is so awesome! Praise God!!!

Lisa said...

That is awesome! Praise God for the work He is doing in Davis' heart. Hopefully, one day he will know and love God.