Friday, December 4, 2009

Thanksgiving


I don't really have any good pictures of Thanksgiving because I didn't have a camera with me but I stole this one from my Uncle Mike.  We had a very pleasant, uneventful Thanksgiving which is a success in my book.  It has become our tradition to have an early Thanksgiving dinner on Tuesday night with Mark's parents and then we eat lunch on Thursday with my Nothum side of the family.  This is fabulous because you get to eat that fantastic meal twice without trying to pretend you enjoy eating it twice in one day!  
One of my most favorite traditions is making the turkey with my Gram.  It started nine years ago when I lived with my Gram for a couple of years before I got married.  Every year since, I have gone to her house very early in the morning to get the stuffing made and the turkey in the oven.  I love being apart of that family tradition, I love hearing her tell me the same stories every year about how much stuffing my Grandpa wanted inside the turkey, and I love making recipes with her that are family favorites.  I know those are memories that I will always hold close to my heart. 
This time of year I am always very mindful of how thankful I am for my family.  God has blessed me and my kids with the most amazing extended family.  At the very foundation of our family is a unity that we have through salvation in Jesus and for that I am most thankful!  
Davis' favorite thanksgiving food this year was ham ("pink meat" - I always forget he like this), sweet potatoes and sweet rice.  Parker can never, ever have enough sweet rice (smart boy) and Grayson had a little bit of everything - he isn't overly opinionated yet.  I think if he appeared to like anything above the rest it would have been the fruit platter . . . next year we will work on making the stuffing his fave!   

1 comment:

The Martins said...

I love the part about you making the turkey. What special memories.