Friday, July 18, 2008

Out of the mouth of a child

I am sure that I will be able to make regular entries to journal all of the creative things my boys say.  Melissa has joked that Davis must lay there in his bed and come up with a new phrase that he wants to incorporate into his vocabulary at least twenty times per day.  The latest this week:

In a very dramatic fashion, he has only been asking for things by saying: "WHY won't anyone get ME some water?" or "WHY won't anyone help ME get dressed?".  We haven't been honoring him asking that way, but I have to laugh at his drama factor.  You would think he is completely neglected.

On several occasions, when talking about extended family, he will randomly use their "title".  I couldn't find Parker's other shoe and Davis said, "I know where it is.  He left it at your mother's house".   We were getting ready for Bible study and he said, "I am going to dad's mom's house right?".  Melissa called on the phone and he said, "I think your sister's on the phone."

I could go into great detail but basically Davis was having a conversation with a woman at our church who I have great respect for (and consequently really wanted my usually blunt child to be kind and sweet and respectful to).  Anyway, she is trying to give him some Biblical direction about helping around the house and being thankful for everything mommy does for him around the house ect.  Davis is looking at her like she has four eyes when he tells her, "If I make a mess my mom loves to clean it up".  This got worse when she asked him what he could do to help mommy and he bluntly responded "If my mommy really needs help around the house, then she can just call the cleaning ladies!".  So proud.

On the sweeter side, he has been telling me several times a day this last week or so "I had such a great time with you today . . . (eating breakfast, in the car, at swim lessons, ect).  It is usually the simplest of activities but he has been very sweetly saying that he enjoys being together.  Sometimes in his honesty, he can be very sincere and sweet.

Parker too has a new trick.  I have been pretty busy trying to get packed and if I am busy in another room and he is supposed to be doing something in his room he will call for me.  When I go to his room to ask him what he needs, he sits there and goes "um, um, um, um, um" until he can think of something to say.  Usually he doesn't even come up with anything.  This is not out of character for a child, but I was surprised that a seventeen-month-old could manage something like that for attention.

2 comments:

Theresa said...

I LOVE THE CLEANING LADIES STORY; I could hear that over and over and still laugh...:) I'm glad you can find humor in it, too! :)

Amy said...

I love that Davis shows such love for you. In the very rare occasions that I get that from Trey I eat it up. I have to say 3 1/2 is very hard in a lot of ways but also awesome in a lot of ways.